Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Love Camp

If you were to ask me what I am truly passionate about, one of the answers you would get from me is camp. I LOVE CAMP! 
What's so great about camp? Camp provides us a way  to get out of our normal day to day life and spend time in God's creation listening to and learning from God. It is amazing how well we can hear God speak when we don't have the tv, phone, ipod, etc. fighting for our attention.

In my mind camp is so much more than a location, it is an ideal. Inside, outside, no matter where or when, camp is a choice to step away, do differently, and come away changed. The concept  that camp is a state of mind is fairly new to me. I am still working through this but the more I think on it the more I believe. 

If we were to define "camp" as a period of time in which we separate ourselves from the day to day stuff of our lives and focus on learning and hearing from God. Using that as our frame work there are lots of things that fall into this category. In fact, Sunday School or church could even be placed in the category of camp with this definition.  If we can define a Sunday morning service as "camp", can we then expect to have the same mountain top experience during a service? I truly believe its not the pastor or location that provides us with those experiences, but instead  our own opening of our hearts and seeking to focus and hear from God. Imagine entering a Sunday morning service with that same willingness, even anticipation, oh think of the ways that God could move in our lives! Every time we are at church could be a spiritual "camp" experience,whether it be Sunday School, Children's Church, midweek, or even a Bible study. 

The thing I love most about camp is meeting with God in a real, tangible way. So then why is it so hard to accomplish more than once or twice a year?  I know personally I find it easier to listen to God when I am out in His creation. However the truth is, God is still speaking and moving even when I am not in His nature listening. And therefore the issue lies with me. I need to make more of an effort to tune out the distractions of the world, and listen wholeheartedly for the voice of God. I need to actively seek to be changed from every encounter with the Word of God. 

I love camp, and as I am learning, it doesn't have to be something I wait all year to experience. 

Grateful for God's lessons at The Grove!

Miss Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment