Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Giving Back

My whole life my parents have taught me the value of repaying a kindness done to you. When my parents were first starting out as a married couple they were both working and not making much money. There were times when my Grandpa (my mom's dad) would bring them over groceries to help the pay checks stretch that much further. And so when the opportunities have arisen, and my parents have seen someone they can help in some way, they have taken that opportunity to help, since the same was done for them.

My mom and dad have always shared the importance of this with me. As the body of Christ we are to help each other and repay what is done for us. That doesn't always mean repaying the person who helped you, sometimes it comes more in the way of paying it forward.

There have been many times in my life that people have helped me, whether it be through giving me something I was in need of, encouraging me along the way, or pouring their time and wisdom into my life. One in particular that stands out to me is the mentor relationship that I have. When I was a teenager I began a type of informal mentor/mentee relationship with our church's Children's Pastor. I would sit in his office and we would talk about the ministry, school, and life. He was a great encouragement to me early on when I felt called to ministry. As I have ventured out into my own ministry, he and his wife have continued to be a constant source of encouragement to me. I know if I need a sounding board for an idea, or simply a little bit of advice on how to handle a situation that he will be there to help in any way he can. Now that I find myself a little more settled, and feeling like I can hold my own in my ministry and life, I believe it is time for me to pay it forward. It is time for me to find someone that I can pour into, journey along side, and help through encouragement and prayer. I have been blessed by the impact my mentor has had on my life and ministry and I hope that God can use me to be a blessing in someone else's life.

I am so glad that my parents taught me to give back by helping others. Life is so much better when we all work together, that is what the Body of Christ is all about.

Has there been a time in your life where someone has helped you? Have you paid it forward and helped someone else?


Gratefully Growing at the Grove!

Miss Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment