Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Why I love VBS

For those of you getting to know me one thing you will quickly find out is that I am VERY passionate about Vacation Bible School. I love that for one week each summer we have the opportunity as a church to be wild and crazy, fun and exciting and completely stray from the normal while learning with Jesus all with the excuse that its for VBS. It has been a joy in years past to see some of the more straight laced, serious adults in the church show their crazy, wacky side to the kids during the week of VBS. Adults that were once seemingly unapproachable or even scary now are no longer that way because now we can see they are just normal people like you and I.
And though this is one of my favorite parts of VBS, the true reason why I love VBS is simply this. We have the opportunity to spend 5 days straight telling the kids that come about Jesus. We have the opportunity to tell kids that may have never been inside the walls of a church before about an awesome savior who came to die for their sins. This is an AMAZING opportunity that I do not want to take for granted.
A few years back I heard a speaker talking about the importance of VBS, Shane Garrison is a professor at Campbells University and speaker who is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible. And the cool thing is, he was saved as a child at VBS.
One summer his grandparents were tired of him sitting at home doing nothing, so they decided to send him to the church down the street for their VBS. He had never been inside of a church before, he had no idea what they even did in there. His family didn't even have any grand purpose in sending him to VBS other than to just get him out of their hair for a few hours but God had a plan.
Here is his story:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcU2Y0CsGCw

We have the opportunity to be that bridge to the Gospel to the children in our community. And that is why I love VBS.


We are preparing for our VBS next week and I am absolutely looking forward to teaching each of the children that come on our campus about the awesome love of God. It may be stressful getting everything organized and prepared, recruiting staff and doing training, but the end result is so worth it all! The privilege of teaching the future generation about our awesome, amazing, loving God, that is why I get up in the morning, and that is why I love my job.

Looking forward to growing more in The Grove!

Miss Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment