Thursday, April 9, 2015

Impact

You never know the impact you are going to make in someone's life! Last night we had our first VBS volunteer training, and one of the things that I emphasized to our volunteers is to take advantage of every opportunity to build a relationship with the kids coming to VBS. I reminded them that it doesn't take big gestures to make an impression on someone's life. 

One of the people that made a big impression on my life in a seemingly small way were my 4th grade Sunday School teachers. They always took the time to ask us how our week was going and talk to us about whatever was going on. But the big thing for my 4th grade heart was the fact that whenever we had a birthday in our class they brought in root beer and ice cream for black cows. That may not seem like a big deal, and to be honest as an adult its not earth shaking, but as a 4th grader that was the coolest thing that our teachers would do that to make us feel special and celebrated! I still recall those times fondly after all these years.

Another person that impacted my life but is instead a family. The Cooper family lost their oldest daughter to a car accident about 5 years ago. And instead of letting hurt and bitterness take over, they decided to turn this tragedy into a blessing for others. In honor of their daughter, the Brianna Cooper Heavenly Smiles Foundation was formed. The Coopers have used this foundation to help families who have lost a child, whose child has been born with cleft lip or palate, or who have had to deal with childhood leukemia. The light of Christ is shining brightly through the Cooper family, and I know that their faith has made an impact on more people than just me. But also knowing the Coopers I know that this was not their intention when they started out, they just wanted to honor Brianna and give back some of the generosity that was shown to them in their hour of need. 

The final person that I will share that has made a huge impact on my life, through little things he did was my grandpa. Every time I spoke to my grandpa we wouldn't end the conversation without him telling me that he was proud of me. When I would go and visit him, I would hear from the people around him that he had been telling them about me and what I was doing. He showed me that he loved me and supported whatever I was doing by his words and actions. It wasn't any grand gestures, or large gifts. It was simply being reminded every time we spoke that he was proud of me. And when I faced hard times, times when I thought I wasn't good enough to do the job ahead of me, or times when I was discouraged by the events going on in my life, I had those conversations to draw on. I knew that no matter what was going on in my life that I had at least one person who was proud of me and who loved me. And even though my grandpa has been gone now for a few years, I still hold on to and cherish those few words spoken to me.

These are just a few examples of people who made an impact on my life. There are many others as well that I have not mentioned. But it is because of these people that I now strive to be intentional in realizing that I am making an impact on those around me. It is not just the children in my ministry, or my volunteers, it is those I work with, my friends and family, and those I encounter throughout my life. I want to leave a positive impact on peoples lives and not a negative one.

So now I ask you, who has made an impact on your life? Whose life are you impacting? Is it positive or negative?


Daily Growing at The Grove

Miss Megan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Megan for the reminder! Pastor Bishir

    ReplyDelete