Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dads: An Earthly Example of our Heavenly Father

I had the privilege to host our annual Father/Daughter Night at our church.This year, like last year we had an ice cream bar for the fathers and daughters to enjoy. After the ice cream and a time of fellowship, I shared some thoughts with the fathers and daughters about how I saw my dad as an example of my Heavenly Father, God. I encouraged the fathers to be that type of example for their daughters. Here are is the outline of what I shared with the fathers and daughters.

My dad is my hero because he points me to my Savior.

Earthly fathers should be the example of the love of the Heavenly Father
  • This is not done through 1 large gesture but instead through lots of little ones.
    • The Old Testament talks about teaching continually (Deuteronomy)
      • And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
    • The New Testament shows us that this was carried on. 
      • Many came to see Jesus, and it wasn't all just adults, whole families came to learn from Jesus.
      • Then the little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray. but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "
Earthly fathers should be the example of the love of the Heavenly Father
  • He tells me he loves me 
    • Isaiah 43:1But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.
    • Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, “Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
  • He shows me through giving me his time 
    • Time is one thing that once it is gone can never be gotten back, its value is priceless
    • Ecclesiastes 3 (There is a time for everything)
  • Caring about the seemingly little things
    • Conversations in the car
    • Luke 12:7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
  • His priorities (Work)
    • He is a provider
    • Matthew 6:28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
  • His priorities (The Scripture)
  • Patience
    • 1 John 4:8 b …because God is love.
    • 1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient…
  • Prayer
  • Wisdom
    • Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
  • He is strong when I am weak
    • The DAD Jobs- The jobs I have him do when he visits because I am too weak or don't know how to do it on my own.
    • Matthew  19:26 “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’”
    • Psalm 27:1 “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
  • Helper
    • Psalm 118:14 The Lord is my strength and song...
  • Sacrificing
    • Romans 8:31-32  What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?  Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?
  • Teaching
  • Correction
    • 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness.
  • Consistency
    • Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
  • Encouraging (Grandpa too)

No comments:

Post a Comment