Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Becoming a WE instead of a Y'ALL

I spent 3 years living just outside of Memphis, and therefore I have picked up the language and the slang quickly. I often find myself saying "y'all", and often don't even realize I am saying it half the time. The other day I was sitting in the office at the church talking to some of the staff and I made the comment about something they were doing and my statement was "Well I don't know what y'all do..." my boss stopped me and said, "you're one of us now, its not a 'y'all' its and we." And it hit me, he was right. Even though I have physically been here just over 5 months I still frequently refer to the people and staff of Liberty as "y'all" instead of we. I am still mentally separate myself from the staff and church that I am now a part of. I know this is something I need to work on. How can I be a cohesive part of the staff when I still use us/them language? How can I lead children and families when I make myself an outsider? The answer to both of those questions is of course I cannot. God has lead me to this church at this time in my journey, and though I have physically moved and transitioned, I now need to complete that transition and move from a "y'all" to a "we."
I think that every one who goes through a time of change and transition has to make the shift from y'all to we. It has to be a purposeful change, one done with conscious decision. With each passing week and each upcoming event, I am beginning to change my vocabulary. I am trying my best to put my mind in the place of being included in the aspects of Liberty.  Just another milestone in this journey that is a life of ministry. And I am resolved to embrace each step of the journey.


Thankfully Growing at The Grove!

Miss Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment