Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Moms

As I sit here reflecting on this past Sunday, which was Mothers Day, I have begun to think about what it means to be a mom. I am not a mom myself, but if it is in God's plan for me, I may be one someday.

Moms come in all forms. They can be the woman who gave birth to you, the one who raised you as a child, the one who has your back, the one who loves you, the one who has helped you become who you are. And the cool thing is only 1 of those things has to do with biology. 

I have been blessed greatly in the mom area. I have a wonderful biological mom who has always been there for me. She has taught me, encouraged me, prayed for me, taken care of me when I am sick, loves me unconditionally, and has become one of my closest friends. But I also have an adoptive mom who took me in as a part of her family at a time I was far away from mine. I didn't meet my second mom until I was 24 years old but she made me feel like I was one of her children and that her other children were my siblings. She was there when I was sick, helped me when I had a problem, corrected me when I was wrong, and loved me unconditionally. Now that I have moved back to Indiana, and am actually living closer to my first mom, I am still considered a member of both families.


I have two strong, loving women to look to as my examples for life. Both show a strong faith in Christ and have a great testimony of what God has done in and through them. I know that if I had a problem I could look to both of these wonderful women and they would point me in the direction of the Bible and provide me Godly wisdom for my situation.

Proverbs 31:10-31 has this to say about a Godly wife, and mother.

A good woman is hard to find,
    and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
    and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
    all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
    and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
    and brings back exotic surprises.
She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast
    for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
    then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
    rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
    is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
    diligent in homemaking.
She’s quick to assist anyone in need,
    reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows;
    their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
    and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
    when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
    brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
    and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
    and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
    and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
    her husband joins in with words of praise:
“Many women have done wonderful things,
    but you’ve outclassed them all!”
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
    The woman to be admired and praised
    is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
    Festoon her life with praises!

As I read through this passage again, I can see different hints of both of my mothers in this passage. God has blessed me richly with not only 1 mother like this but 2, it is rare, but a blessing. I hope that someday I be the example to someone else that these two ladies have been to me!

Thankful to be growing at The Grove!
Miss Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment